In the current era of digital technology, the movement from traditional TV viewers to Over-The-Top (OTT) platform is quite impressive. Further, in the lockdown times during the Covid-19 pandemic propelled the growth of this segment that was already booming. The closure of movie theaters led to the exposure of OTT as the new big screen. Now for this answer to the above topic, we have to understand a few points.
What is OTT?
OTT (Over the Top) services refer to any type of streaming video or media content that allows viewers to access movies or TV shows by sending the media content directly through the Internet. An OTT platform provides an application-based service that streams content directly to the user’s device through traditional content delivery channels via the Internet.
The Drawbacks of the TV systems
The traditional model of the TV system does not give flexibility to the consumer to view their favorite TV show or movies whereas OTT platforms provide this feature. An OTT platform consumer can choose their favorite TV show or cinema with the range of connected devices separately. OTT Platform support wide range modes of access regardless of platforms like mobile, smart TV, SET-top box, etc. So Internet plays a vital role in the OTT module as content of the OTT reaches viewers through it. TV operators are facing a big challenge on how a customer will get the best viewing experience to their OTT platforms.
Why OTT platforms get more popularity?
Many factors have gone into making OTT extremely popular with the public.
- Consumer can choose different package as per their needs.
- Premium content come into different OTT platforms
- Large variety modes of access: Through Internet-connected consumers can access OTT content devices such as
- phones (including Android, iOS, and Windows-type mobile devices),
- smart TVs (such as Google TV),
- set-top boxes (such as Apple TV, Fire TV),
- gaming consoles (such as the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One),
- Tablets and Desktop and Laptop computers.
- OTT provides content using data-driven approach by using they can observe how much engagement happening with respect to content.
List of some Top OTT platforms in India:
- Amazon Prime Video
- Disney+ Hotstar
- Sony LIV
- MX Player
- ALT Balaji
What Difficulty currently facing by the OTT?
The biggest challenge facing content delivery based on the OTT platform is distribution. For example, delivery through OTT platforms requires users to have TVs connected to the internet, which means replacing traditional TVs with newer TVs with internet.
However, the growing adoption of OTT viewing shows those users ultimately see it as a small price to pay for the convenience and affordability it offers in the long run, especially among younger people. As the Indian market has a bright future in the entertainment industry, the OTT platforms will be alternative for consumers if they provide good quality content.
Photo by freestocks.org from Pexels